Friday, November 30, 2012

Veagn Challenge Update

 I have been doing this challenge for 18 days now!  I can't even believe it is so easy.  I'll admit I had a couple slip ups:
  • mandatory class tastings for nutrition
  • When I was feeling like I wanted to stop the challenge, I had a slice of cheese and some crackers.  Low and behold, I felt very heavy and my stomach ached that night...
It is amazing how my body craves different foods now and how completely turned off I am at the sight or smell of dairy.  Even the thought of consuming animal products just makes my mind fuzzy.

I have been taking a B12 supplement once a week because this crucial vitamin is hard to find in abundant sources in plant-based foods.  I have heard of fortified nutritional yeast containing B12 as well as naturally fermented foods.  Although these foods do contain trace amounts (according to the articles I read, which I will find and post later) of B12, but are not substantial enough.  I have also read that once the body becomes acclimated to no more B12 from the outside, it can take small amounts from the foods we do eat (i.e. fermented, dirt from our veggies, etc.) and hold onto it in our bodies.

There is still much more research that needs to be done on this topic.  I will be looking more in depth and posting articles I find within the net few weeks.  I would love to hear what you have to say about this topic, as well.  So, please feel free to post your thoughts/ideas/articles you have found so we all can learn a bit more.

Enjoy the warm-up this weekend!

Luana ola!

No comments:

Post a Comment