Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Roasted Root Veggies

I am practically done with this vegan challenge!  I can't believe I have made it this far.  With a few slip-ups under my belt, I feel more confident and comfortable in this new way of life.  In these next few months, I probably won't be so strict, but I do believe that I will keep up this wonderfully healthy lifestyle.  I can honestly say that I have more energy and feel better about the nourishment I am feeding myself and Andrew.

Last night, I made a wonderful mixture of roasted beets and sweet potatoes with a side of pureed vegetable soup that was topped with steamed Brussels sprouts.  It was so good!



First, peel the sweet potato and beets.  Be careful because the beets will stain EVERYTHING!  If you want, you can wear rubber gloves to protect your hands from turning pink.  Next, slice in half and cut into thin rounds.  Once that is done, slice each of the rounds into match-stick sized pieces.  Put everything into a large bowl and drizzle with a bit of olive oil, thyme, oregano, and sea salt.  Toss to coat and put it into a preheated 375 degree F oven for 20-25 minutes, or until soft.

I had a bunch of cabbage soup leftover, so I blended that up and added a boiled sweet potato to add some thickness.  I heated that over the stove and added the Brussels sprouts.  To my surprise, the chunks of Brussels were really good with the creamy soup.  It was a dinner in vegan heaven!

Besides being tasty, I was so happy to eat a bunch of the food because I know it is good for me.  I felt healthy and happy after eating this meal, as I do with all vegan meals.  There is no weighing you down with heavy meats or dairy products.  I hope you try my recipe and see how much you can love vegan food as well!

Luana ola!

No comments:

Post a Comment