Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Monster Smoothie!

My lovely teacher gave us the night off for class today so that we could work on our giant take-home test that is actually a project!  So fun!! (no, seriously, I love projects and this one is really fun!)

We have to create a restaurant with a menu and floor plan!  Sounds easy, but it's taking me much longer than I anticipated so far...I have the generic floor plan done and was working on the logistics until...

I got hungry!!  Go figure...so I whipped up one of my best green smoothies yet!  I've been on a kick with these wonderfully healthy/delicious/nutritious guys for about a week now.  It took me finding the right ratios and blending time to reduce "chunkage" (yes, I just made that word up).



Here's what I've got for you today, put the ingredients into your blender as listed:

  • 1/2 c almond milk (or milk of choice/yogurt)
  • 1 small apple, chopped, with skin still on
  • 1 small kiwi, diced, skin removed
  • 1 stalk celery, chopped
  • 1-2 c greens, washed ( spinach is a good one to start with but you can use any green here! kale is good too)
  • 1 c frozen mixed fruit, no sugar added (my mixture bag had peach, mango, pineapple, and strawberries)
  • top with 1 c water
    • Blend away until it is nice and smooth.  If you don't mind texture, don't blend as long.  But, if you are like me and are completely turned off by the idea of chunkage in your smoothie, blend  like crazy! Adding avocado or another healthy fat/ thick yogurt also helps with the creaminess.
This recipe made enough for me for a filling lunch (it's about 300 calories).  You could definitely share with a friend as a snack, but if you do eat it as a meal, drink slowly and it will definitely fill you up!  The great thing, though is that it is easily digested and you will more than likely need a snack in approximately 3 hours.   Here's to healthy eating!!

What is your favorite green smoothie blend?

Luana ola!

No comments:

Post a Comment