Tuesday, March 26, 2013

108 Sun Salutations

In honor of the vernal equinox (the beginning of spring that happened on March 20th), it is a tradition in yoga to complete 108 sun salutations...

You can find a brief explanation here, but don't quote me on this.  It seems pretty accurate, but I'm not 100% positive.  Let's go with if, though, for now.

I completed 108 traditional sun salutes yesterday morning and it was an experience I will never forget!  First and foremost, my body ached and still aches today but I feel so alive.  My muscles were more fatigued than they ever had been, even after lifting weights!  The thoughtfulness that you must keep while breathing and going through the motions is miraculous and so motivations.

Each time I came up to upward salute and back down to forward fold, I said the number either out loud or in my head.   I noticed that my focus got very tired by 70, which is when I began counting out loud.

With my face dripping in sweat and my muscles shaking with fatigue, I counted down my last 10 and sat in meditation for a few minutes to let my mind re-connect with my body and allow my body to rest awhile before moving on with my day.  (The walk to my car was quite funny because I kept stumbling due to how tired my legs were!  My arms didn't want to raise to grasp the steering wheel!  Okay, it really wan't that bad, but it felt like it at some points...)

Luana ola!

No comments:

Post a Comment