Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Healthier Ideas

As you may or may not know, I went through an emotional bought of binge eating and am still working through the recovery phase.  Although I have not binged in a long time (over 6 months), the struggles are still there and I face them almost every day.  Here is a list of some of the ways I have come up with to help me stop a binge from occurring:

First of all, it is important to note that I have found out how to tell when a binge is coming on and have learned how to either counteract it with the following list or to completely obliterate it from happening in the first place by eating scheduled, balanced meals.

         1. Know that I am not perfect.- I have a type A personality.  This means that I LOVE organization, order, lists, and perfection.  These things can be great, but they also bring many difficulties to my life.  For example, I am my own worst critic for everything; some of the things I say to myself, I wouldn't dare to even imagine saying to someone else.  I strive for perfection and hate to fail, but failing is inevitable when perfection is all you see.  With this in mind, I try to remind myself to be the best Me I can be by eating healthy, getting exercise, and minimizing stress.

  • 2. Eat a balanced, healthy breakfast every morning. - make oatmeal with fruit, whole grain pancakes, or stir fried veggies. Starting my day with healthy wholesome foods helps me to get in a healthy state of mind for the rest of the day.


  • 3. Give up dieting.- I am a firm believer in the old saying "diets don't work". The definition we have given the word "diet" has become so negative that we are becoming more and more afraid of food. We need food to survive! Eating a balanced diet full of fruits and vegetables will ultimately lead you and me to a healthy lifestyle and long life with loved ones.


  • 4. Get support.- We are social creatures and are not meant to do things on our own. If you have a goal in mind, tell many people. This way, you can be held accountable and those people can help you get to your goals in a slow and healthy manner.


  • 5. Always keep healthy snacks in my bag.- There is nothing worse than getting stuck somewhere hungry with nothing around but fast food or sugary snacks. For this reason, I have become accustomed to packing a snack bag with nuts/seeds and some fruit and/or vegetables.


  • 6. Exercise daily.- Our bodies were meant to move and movement helps to relieve stress and bring oxygen throughout the body, allowing your mind to think more clearly and deeply.


  • 7. Learn mindful/intuitive eating.- I am still working on this one. When I am hungry, I can not think of anything else but food. If I let myself go too long, I become a completely different person and am no fun to be around. I try to listen to my body to hear what it wants whether it be water or fuel. When I listen close enough, I will know how much to eat or drink, what to eat or drink, and when to stop.


  • 8. Set a timer and meditate- When life starts getting too fast and busy, set a timer for 3 minutes. Trust me, these three minutes will feel like an hour, but once you have been still and calmed your mind and body for that short period of time, you will feel so much better and will actually be more productive.


  • 9. “I can always have it later”- Part of my biggest problem is that I deny myself constantly, so when I don't deny myself for one instant, I go crazy and gobble up the sweets because my mind thinks that I can never get this food again. I have begun to tell myself, "You can always have it later". This is a form of self-discipline; your mind is like a small child and wants things that make it feel good, aka endorphins. Endorphins are released in your brain after eating grains, sugars, and chocolate! This makes complete sense if you think about what you eat when you are sleepy, emotional, or unhappy: chocolate, cakes, cookies, and other high fat/sugar/starch foods.


  • 10. Know my triggers- It is amazing how little we know ourselves. Taking a self-analysis or answering questions to yourself is a great way of getting to know what triggers your personal "bad behaviors". This is kind of like a self-date. Really get to know yourself, your deep self who is rarely seen by the outside world. Explain to yourself the reasons you do things and if those things are not healthy, teach yourself how to make them healthy.


  • 11. Get sound sleep.- Sleep is our body's way to rejuvenate and repair itself. Without adequate sleep, we can not function well the next day. Make sure you go to bed at a decent hour and try to rise without an alarm, if possible.


  • 12. Treat yourself with love and be kind to your body.- This is your home. Treat it as though it were a statue on a pedestal in a museum. It is your shrine to show off to the world. Every body is different, so there is no such thing as perfect. When you care for your body and respect it, you will have a beautiful glow coming from your skin and people will notice. Health starts from the outside in, what makes up who you are?



Since I am still working on these things, I would love some comments on your thoughts and ideas you may have come up with.

Luana ola!

No comments:

Post a Comment