Sunday, March 11, 2012

Spring is in the air!

I have officially planted my first herb of the season...garlic!

I know, I know, it sounds weird but I promise that there is a story to my madness.  First of all, yes, garlic is an herb.  It is technically part of the onion family, but because of its medicinal properties and the way it grows, it is considered an herb.  Second, the reason I planted one is because I found a few cloves sprouting out of the head of garlic in my herb drawer.  It is important to note that garlic should not be consumed once it starts to sprout, so I decided to try planting it instead of throwing it away.  (I hate to waste).

Some good things about garlic:

  • it adds lots of flavor without adding salt
  • it's an aromatic, which means that it heightens the senses while cooking
  • can lower blood pressure
  • is an aphrodisiac
  • can ward off vampires! (haha, or that's the superstition...)
Now for the day's events...Andrew and I had banana pancakes with chocolate chips for breakfast (whole grain, of course, and nothing artificial).  While he is studying, I will probably go for a run, do a little cleaning, and catch up on some reading.  Speaking of!!  I am reading The Pillars of the Earth and man is it a great book!  1000 pages long, but each sentence enticies the imagination!  I'll post a review when I am finished with it :)

Glad it's finally warming up and sunny!

Luana ola!

No comments:

Post a Comment