Friday, January 29, 2016

Flavorful Friday: Do you taste your food?

Hi friends!!

Can you believe this is the last week of January?!  I sure can't!!

With working a full time job as well as creating new programs for TheYogiRD, time seems to slip by all too quickly.  As a matter of fact, as I am typing this, it is coming to my attention that I could use some mindfulness in my life.  I recently watched a video about being mindful in your daily life.  Really living in the moment and paying attention to the task at hand, instead of thinking about everything else you need to get done.

That is where my yoga practice comes in.  Every time I am on my mat, I am mindful.  It comes more easily on the mat (more challenging at home compared to at the studio...).  I have just now noticed that this practice of mindfulness has not quite been integrated into my whole life.  Sure, when I don't have a super busy schedule, I am more aware and mindful.  But it is during those intense moments in life that being mindful is most important.  During the crazy running around trying to keep everything together moments is really when we should stop. and breathe. and be present.

So, naturally it is difficult, but if you and I work at it, those want to pull your hair out crazy moments will be more bearable because we have learned to clear the chaos and allow ourselves to seek and find an answer.


So, what does this have to do with it being "Flavorful Friday"?  Well, everything actually!  Mindfulness is eating and choosing what we eat is a major part of a healthy lifestyle!  When you take the time to smell, taste, feel, hear, and see the food you are putting on your plate and in your body; you are more apt to make increasingly healthy decisions.

Think about the last time you really took the time to use all of your senses in preparing and eating a meal.  It made the meal so amazing, didn't it?!  If you've never tried this, I challenge you to try it this weekend. (Then be sure to let me know how it goes!!)

Whether it is preparing a meal or eating a meal, take some time to be mindful:

  • Think about the ingredients
  • Taste each ingredient in each bite
  • Chew each bite at least 20 times and notice any flavor and texture changes
  • Notice the temperature of the food.
  • How does the food smell?  What does the smell remind you of?
  • How does the food sit in your stomach?
    • Are you still hungry?  Overly full? Or just right?
Let me know, in the comments, your thoughts on mindfulness/mindful eating!  If you haven't already, be sure to subscribe! 

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment