Friday, January 8, 2016

Flavorful Friday: Climate Change

Hi Friends!

In these Friday posts, I plan on posting everything from light hearted and delicious recipes to heart-hitting hot topics of the time.

That being said, this first post is going to be about climate change.  Climate change- have you felt it this year?  I know, here in Chicagoland, it is very obvious.  We've hit record highs, and it didn't even feel like "winter" until the end of December/early January!  Typically, we experience coold and at least one snow in October or November! I am by no means an expert, but this topic is very near and dear to my heart.  I want a world that my grandchildren's grandchildren can live in safely and healthfully (and without assistance from wearing a space helmet).

The reason climate change is so important to me is because there are many ways each of us can take a role to help the planet.  Even if you think it is a simple minuscule event that won't make a difference; guess again!  Think about it.  If each individual around the globe recycled one plastic bottle instead of tossing it in the trash, that would be 7.5 billion plastic

In December 2015, there was an article about how climate change can impact global  food security.  I highly suggest you give it a read!  That being said, I'd like to share with you my top tips for reducing waste and saving the plant:


  1. Eat more plants!!!  Whether you are 100% vegan, or a Meatless Monday kind of person, more plants are good for no only your health, but your wallet and the planet as well!
  2. Turn off lights and unplug electronics when not in use.
  3. Recycle glass and plastics
  4. Use reusable produce bags, instead of those clear plastic bags lining the produce isle
  5. Use reusable grocery bags for more than just groceries (clothes shopping...etc)
  6. Walk or bike instead of driving; or if you must drive, carpool!
  7. Use old t-shits/fabric for wrapping gifts 
  8. Buy from second-hand stores; this will save you money and reduce the already high amount of circulating fabrics
  9. Buy only what you use and use only what you buy
  10. Did I say, eat more plants??!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment