Wednesday, May 9, 2012

An apple a day

The old adage "an apple a day keeps the doctor away" is not so far off.  Apples are one of the top nutrient-dense foods that should be part of everyone's healthy diet.  One medium apple (about 3 inches in diameter) has under 100 calories, 4 grams of fiber, 11mg of calcium, 195mg of potassium, vitamin C, A, K, and folate.
   

 After a light breakfast of an apple and rice cake, I got in an awesome workout!  It was running 3 minutes at level 8 (8 being how hard I was running on a scale of 1-10) and walked 2 minutes at a level 3.  Complete that routine 5 times for a great workout.  Next, for some muscle building, I used the "Love your Legs" workout from Tone It Up (TIU):  complete 3 sets of 10 reps of each exercise:

  • flamingo squat- single leg squat with kick back
  • TIU Starfish- lunge front, side, and back
  • Reach for the Sun- plie with lateral shoulder raise
Then, I went out to the garden to check on a few transplants I did.  This first picture is of a leek.  When preparing the leek last week for dinner, I chopped off the end and kept it in a small cup of water to see what would happen.  As it turns out, the leek stayed fresh so I decided to try planting it.  Look what happened!  I am so excited that it is growing!!  I am not known to have a green thumb, although I love gardening and plants, so this it fantastically amazing!  

 I also transplanted the garlic this morning because it was starting to look sad.  Plants are not meant to be in a pot, and I think it was starting to suffocate because of the lack of space.
 Finally, 2 weeks ago, Andrew and I were in Vernon Hills with my parents and we bought this solar powered garden light with tortoises on it!  The best part was that it only cost $15.  It is super cute and a perfect little touch to the garden.
It's finally sunny here!  Enjoy the spring and get outside for some fresh air!

Luana ola!

No comments:

Post a Comment