Friday, January 20, 2012

Winter Blues

It's that time of year when everyone starts wishing they lived in Hawaii...

The days are short, dark, and cold; and all you can think of is sitting by a warm fire with a blanket and a steaming cup of something hot.  For me, this time of year always makes me want something warm and thick for breakfast:  pancakes, porridge, toast with peanut butter.

It is for these reasons that I write this post.  I really want to start making my own sourdough bread again! I made it a couple times in the past and absolutely loved it!  The fun thing about sourdough is that you can play around with the types of flour used to make different tastes and textures.  I have also learned that home made white sourdough is actually better for blood glucose levels than regular whole wheat bread!  It is something in the fermentation and bacteria that aids in digestion and breaks down the gluten and proteins so our bodies don't have to.  A basic sour dough starter is 1 c flour and 1 c warm water; mix and let sit overnight, up to a week in the fridge.  The longer it sits, the stronger the flavor; but be careful because although it's tough to do, the starter can go rancid.  Be sure to "feed" it with 1/2 c flour and 1/2 c water every 12-24 hours.

The next thing I wanted to talk about was porridge and pancakes!  Two of my favorite things!  We all know how to make both easily and very inexpensive, so I thought I'd share one of my favorite recipes...

Porridge Pancakes!!!
All you need is 1 c porridge and 1 egg.  Mix in some spices, dried fruit, or nuts and drop by spoonfuls on a hot griddle.  When they are warm and fluffy, serve with syrup/jam/compote/or nut butters!  Perfect for any day of the week!!!

Oh I almost forgot!  I didn't have a chance to post yesterday, so here's what I made for breakfast and lunch:
This is a rice pilaf with long grain brown rice, pineapple, dried cranberries, thyme, salt, and pepper


Fruit smoothie with strawberries, blueberries, nori, and walnuts


Fantastic spicy curry of brussels sprouts, onion, celery, kidney beans, broth, and garlic



When I finally got to eat it, I topped it with raw onion and red pepper flakes!

More later on the body scrubs!  Please let me know if any one is interested so I can get this business rolling!

Luana ola!


No comments:

Post a Comment