Wednesday, April 10, 2013

A Sign of Spring: Beets!

Beets are one of those foods that you either like, or don't like.  As for me, I LOVE them!!  They are sweet and crunchy, and oooh so good for you; especially your liver.

Yesterday, I had some extra time (how, I don't know...), so I decided to roast up some beets that we bought on Sunday.  Here's the before picture:  I simply rinsed them off and trimmed the greens off, but put them on the sheet pan with the roots.  Heat the oven to 375 degrees F and take the greens out after about 20 minutes.  Leave the roots in there for about 45 min, or until the skins are nice and soft.
 Here' the greens, fresh out of the oven!  I gobbled these guys up so fast.  I've had kale chips, but these beet green chips were so sweet and tasty I think Andrew and the rest of my family might like them (note:  they all don't like beets, not even a little...)
 Finally, the beets were finished.  They don't look much different, but I could hear them sizzling and there were little pools of juice bubbling out of them.
 Now, they are super simple to peel.  Just take a paring knife (or any small knife) and begin to peel back the skin.  Let me note here that your finger tips might get a little pink depending on how careful you are.  That being said, be careful because beets stain like no other and it won't come out!  Trust me, I learned this the hard way...multiple hand washings do the trick though not with clothes!
 Once they are cooled a bit, go ahead and slice thin, or cut however you'd like.
 I like the slices because you can see the pretty rings!

Back to liver health here really quick...for those of you who are squeamish, stop reading here...

We know that our liver gets a good boost of nutrition from beets because if you eat a serving, which is about 1/2 c slices, you will more than likely be urinating pinkish-red.  I just wanted to mention this because it scared me the first time it happened to me.  This is nothing to be alarmed with and will lighten as the beets go through digestion.

What is your favorite way to eat beets?  If you don't like them, would you be willing to give the greens a try?



Luana ola! 

No comments:

Post a Comment