Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Fat Tuesday

Hi friends!

I am coming to you this snowy Fat Tuesday with a special post this week. 

You may already know this, but I love culture.  Food customs, traditions, clothes are all so amazing to me; and the stories that are behind all of these things are even more astounding!  Traditions and festivals can tell so much about a culture, which is why I like to highlight as many holidays/festivals as I can on this blog.  It is important to learn about different cultures so that every individual can appreciate differences and learn along the way.  Learning about culture is like taking a step into the past.  It can show you what people did thousands of years ago!

As a child, I grew up not really understanding the meaning behind Mardi Gras (aka Fat Tuesday).  As you'll see in the following paragraphs, no one does REALLY know the story behind this festival.  We do know, though, that by today's standards, it means lots of food and celebration.

With yesterday (Monday) beginning the Lunar New Year and today beginning Mardi Gras, it is a time for celebration around the globe!  Let me tell you, I have never felt more connected to so many cultures all at once!!

If you'd like a refresher on the Lunar New Year, check out this post I did back in December during my 25 Days of Blogging!
From TheYogiRD instagram!  Hanumanasana (Monkey pose) in honor of the New Year, the year of the monkey!

Now, to dive into Mardi Gras, aka Fat Tuesday.  Mardi Gras is a Christian festival (especially Roman Catholic) that marks the beginning of the season of fasting, called Lent.

The origins of this festival are thought to go back thousands of years to pagan celebrations of spring and fertility.  But many of today's celebrants do not know the true origins of this festival.  One thing is for certain, though, Mardi Gras is known for its vibrant colors, outstanding costumes, and big parties or celebrations!

Do you celebrate Mardi Gras?  What is your favorite celebration? 

Let me know in the comments, and while you're at it, don't forget to subscribe!!

No comments:

Post a Comment