Wednesday, July 1, 2015

My top 4 Fourth of July Healthy Eating tips!

Hi friends!  As I mentioned yesterday, I am here today to share with you some tips on making this Independence Day one that your body and mind will thank you for!

Celebrations are about having fun and sharing good times and traditions with friends and family.  It is important to enjoy your favorite foods, but do so in a mindful manner.  Here's a few suggestions on my favorite recipe swaps.  I bring these foods to all family gatherings and most of the time, no one knows they are even vegan!

Note:  I am not trying to push a plant-based diet on anyone, these just so happen to be to my liking (vegan), but also offer some great health benefits.  Most plant-based foods are high in fiber, low in fat, and loaded with vitamins and minerals; which are good for keeping your heart healthy, stable blood sugar, healthy cholesterol levels, and so much more.

My top 4 swaps:

  1. BBQ- instead of the high fat, high sugar BBQ most of us know, you can get a similar taste and effect by swapping the meat for tofu, jackfruit, or even stewed carrots!  I know it sounds weird, but check out this recipe by the Minimalist Baker!!  Sounds and looks so good!!!
    1. As a bonus, she even makes her own slaw which is another common high fat/sodium/sugar food if not prepared in a mindful way.
  2. Potato Salad-  This one is tricky because potatoes are super healthy!!  But add in the mayonnaise and salt, and you've got an artery-clogging mess.  Might taste good, but your body will not be thanking you.  Instead of weighing down this dish with mayo, use mashed avocados or pureed young coconut meat to keep that same creamy taste and texture but with added health benefits.
  3. Ice Cream- For the same reasons as above, ice cream is very high in fat and added sugar.  If you do want a cold, creamy treat without the heft, try a fruit sorbet, or make your own fruit pops with fresh fruit, a little water or juice, and blend it with avocado or coconut for an extra creamy treat!  (Let me know in the comments if you'd want some of these recipes!) 
  4. Corn on the cob- Once again, corn is a very healthy food!!  When buying corn, look for organic or Non-GMO, and get to know your local farmers!  Corn is a hot topic these days and from my point of view, its better to lean towards the "natural" growing methods than the more modern versions.  Be mindful with this food as well, though, because adding loads of butter and salt opposes all the wonderful benefits corn has to offer your body.  Once again, rubbing avocado on the corn and sprinkling with unsalted chili powder is one of my faves!!
Alright, well that's all I have for you for today!  Remember to check out yesterday's post and leave a comment letting me know what you think my new name should be!

Much love and happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment