Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Stress Relief

The most stressful part of my week is finally over!  I had a Case Study due on Monday, a Cycle menu due on Tuesday, and 2 exams back to back today!  But the good news is that I'm finally done! All I have for the remainder of the week is a lab report to finish writing and an O-Chem mini-quiz to study for on Friday.  Easy. (not the o-chem, simply the lack of projects and tests...)

This morning, I decided to have another bowl of oatmeal.  After reading a bunch of oat-recipes fro KERF, I attempted the whipped oats in the microwave.  They still turned out amazingly good!  I think the key here is to make sure the banana is really ripe.  I mean ripe as in its brown-turning-black-ripe.  This means that all of the sugars are breaking down, so the banana is really sweet and smooth.  Here's how I did it:

1/2 c rolled oats
1/2 c water (maybe more or less, I usually eyeball it)
sprinkle of cinnamon
1/2 large banana, sliced thin

Pop all of that into the microwave (making sure to use a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl of course) for 1min 30 seconds.  It is important to remind you here that oats expand when cooked, make sure you have a bowl that will allow room for this, otherwise you will have a gloppy mess of oatmeal all over your microwave.  Let me tell you from experience, this is not a fun mess to clean up...

When the timer goes off, let the oats sit for about 30 seconds so they have time to cool and the bowl is not so hot.  Take the bowl out of the microwave and stir well until all the banana chunks have melted into the oats (unless you like that texture, which I definitely do not) and top with a good dollop of nut butter!!  This is for sure my favorite part!  I used peanut butter, but cashew, sunflower, and almond are also deliciously divine (or any nut butter for that matter!!!)

Lunch had to be packed today and included a big pile of raw broccoli with some avocado and lots of blueberries to snack on during my 3 hour class.

I apologize for the lack of pictures, but dinner was a mish-mash of deliciousness!  I had leftover baked cabbage with freshly sauteed mushrooms and onions.  Then, for a little indulgence, I popped some fresh kettle corn (I never get to have that when Andrew is around!!)  Girl's night in; oh how lovely.

I also made some chocolate!  I have used this recipe several times, and I think I like it best made with agave!

Thanks Em and Kath for your wonderful recipes and healthy habits!

What's your go-to recipe when you have the whole house to yourself?

Luana ola!

No comments:

Post a Comment