Monday, September 17, 2012

Work and Play

I know I said I was going to do 4 different posts, but I thought that the two pairs went so well together that they should share a post. That being said, I apologize now for the lengthy posts; I can get long winded...

After listening to a podcast by Trish Blackwell, I got a new surge of energy to write posts about general health, which prompted this series (heck, if all goes well, I might start my own podcast!)  In one segment, she talked about laziness in life.  It is so true that if we are lazy in life, we are missing out on so many great opportunities, even at work!  Think about it, if you put heart into your job or career, people notice and appreciate you.  We all know that one person in the office who just can't stand being at work and he/she makes the day drag for everyone else.  Well, I'm here to ask you to be that other person who brings joy and excitement to work!  You will get noticed by your boss and colleagues will want to work with you. Before you know it, the rest of your life may seem to take a turn for the better.  It all starts with a gentle smile and "Good morning".  If you are not the one to offer the time of day, make sure you respond back.

It is common courtesy to greet your colleagues and interact with them.  Not only does this make the day run much more smooth, but it also keeps your spirits and energy high.  That reminds me, this weekend, Andrew and I went to Willow Creek for church and the sermon was about being present at work and being a diligent worker.  Being diligent can be broken down into many aspects, including, but not limited to the following:

  1. being early, not just on time
  2. going above and beyond the job description
  3. owning mistakes
  4. helping colleagues
  5. take on non-mandatory responsibilities
The list can go on and on; it all boils down to being present in your job/career and making the most out of every day.  If you are unhappy where you are, reflect on your life and see what changes may need to be made.  Everyone has their struggles, but it is those who find that the glass is half full who get out of that struggle stronger than before.

This is Andrew and I being diligent in studying for big exams (and sharing lunch).

 With a pretty view :)

This morning's breakfast was whipped oats for 2 with a pear mid-morning.

Lunch was a fabulous concoction of banana, cashews and whole wheat bread!  Take a look:  I mashed the banana, slathered it on the bread, and poked in come raw cashews.  It was like a crunchy cashew sandwich; must try with peanuts/walnuts soon!
 Yum!
And finally, dinner was astounding, if I do say so myself:  black beans sauteed with chard, onions, and jalapeno.  Sliced tomato on the side and garnished with nutritional yeast. MMMMM!
Now to listen to the rain and do some reading; OH!  I am through week 1 of my 21 day yoga challenge :)

Luana ola!

No comments:

Post a Comment