Sunday, September 16, 2012

Laziness

I heard a great podcast today about laziness.  The truth is, we are all lazy at one point or another; the difference is whether or not we own up to it and do something about it.  Generally speaking, the term lazy is a pretty ugly word.  I don't like to use it and I don't like to hear it.  Sometimes, though, I need to tell myself I am being lazy in order to own up and just do something.

In the next few posts (I hope to do at least one a week) I am going to dive into the things that we humans are most lazy about:  work, play, exercise, and nutrition.  At one point or another, we have all been guilty of being lazy in each of these areas (and maybe more).  I have come to realize that the only way to fix laziness is to own it.  Think about it, the last time you skipped a workout or picked up fast food was probably because you "had too much going on" or you were "too tired".  Am I right?  I know I've used those excises over and over again.  Own it!  The best thing I have learned (but have not perfected) is to step back and take a few deep breaths (yoga/meditation work too), open your heart, and tell yourself to start doing the dreaded task for just 5-10 minutes.  I can almost guarantee that you will feel better and might even keep going once those first few minutes are over.  The theory here is that once you start the task, your mind has switched on and your focus is now on the new task; you no longer have a reason to fear the task because you are already doing it.

I will start with work tomorrow.  I hope everyone had a great weekend!

Luana ola!


No comments:

Post a Comment