Monday, August 20, 2012


I had an amazing weekend!  First of all, I could not have asked for better weather; it was both cool and warm at the same time; the sun was out; and big beautiful clouds scattered in the sky.   Saturday was our day of rest because we had a big day on Sunday.  We relaxed ate a bunch of fresh fruits and veggies and go our whole grains (mainly rice and popcorn) loaded in our system for our first sprint triathlon on Sunday.  (oh, and watched probably 3-4 episodes of Smallvile!)

Saturday came and went as we settled in to bed around 9 p.m. so we could get up at 4:30 and head out.  We got up Sunday morning before the sun (way before) and drove down to Woodridge.  By 6 a.m., we were all registered, bikes in the gate, arms and calves numbered, shirts pinned, and a banana/granola bar digesting.   It was so cool!  The sun was begining to rise and I had all the energy in the world, like it was 10am (I almost called my parents, but then remembered that they were probably just leaving their house to watch our race.  By 7:30, my parents were there taking pictures of Andrew and I before we jumped in the pool to begin our race.

Before I knew it, I was in the water, goggles and cap adjusted and ready to go.  My heart was pounding, but there was no fear, just adrenaline and excitement!!!  The swimming was definitely the hardest part for me.  I took off too fast and ended up easing up by the third lane (note to self:  train harder on this one!).  I was done with the swimming and onto the bike.  My first transition was 1.30; not too bad for trying to put on shorts, socks, and a shirt soaking wet (note 2:  invest in a triathlon suit if this is going to become a regular race).  The bike was great; I averaged 15 mph and felt great.  Then came the run... Although it was only 2 miles, the first mile felt like 5 because my calves were tight from biking.  After talking to a few other triathletes, this seems to be a normal occurrence.  After that first bit, though, I picked up my pace and finished with a great sprint.  I felt like a champ and finished 7th in my age group and Andrew finished 6th in his!!  We did so well!!

Needless to say, we were exhausted by 2p.m. and took a short nap after lunch.  The rest of the day was relaxing; then back to work on Monday (or jury duty for me).

I hope everyone had a fantastic weekend and enjoying "back to school season"

Luana ola!