Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Happy New Year!

Christmas is over and the New Year is just around the corner.  Time to clean up and get those resolutions set.  As for me, my New Year's resolution is to be a more balanced individual.  This means being balanced in all of the aspects of health:  emotional, physical, intellectual, spiritual, social, and environmental.

Here's how I plan on doing it:

  • Emotional- When you start to feel stressed, take a break from whatever you are doing and meditate.  Take 3-5 deep breaths; holding for 4 seconds after the inhale.  This cleanses the body and opens the mind so that you can more clearly understand what is making you stressed.
  • Physical- I will be working out, practicing yoga, and dancing.  These activities are ones that I thoroughly enjoy and have fun doing with friends and family.  I will also be continuing a healthy diet filled with lots of whole grains, protein, and of course fruits and vegetables.
  • Intellectual- This one is really easy for me, mainly due to the fact that I am still a student, but also because I love to read.  Any chance I get, Andrew and I head to the library to find new DVDs about the ocean, books on tape, as well as books to read and learn from.  One of the biggest reasons that more people are getting Dementia and Alzheimer's is because there is not enough reading and social interaction as there used to be.  So, pick up a book and give that brain a good workout!!!! (Believe it or not, you actually burn lots of calories by reading/learning)
  • Social- Speaking of social interaction, my resolution for this domain is to hang out with friends and family as much as I can.  Studies and work are important, but when it all comes down to it, family and friends are what make you strong, happy, and healthy.  It is important to be social. That doesn't mean go out drinking every weekend, but maybe have a dinner party; go out to eat; meet up and go for a walk; and so much more.
  • Spiritual- I try to practice meditation every day, which is great for mental clarity and truly understanding yourself.  I don't pray as much as I used to, but prayer is also a good way to stay grounded and connected with not only yourself, but a higher being as well.
  • Environmental- Last but certainly not least, the environment is definitely worth adding into a resolution.  This doesn't just mean reduce, reuse, and recycle; although those are great things to do if you don't already do them, it also incorporates your living environment and the community around you.  Keep the house clean, stay away from smoke, keep up the personal hygiene, and notice the small details of life around you.  Next time you go for a walk or even just go outside, notice all the sounds and smells that come your way.  Really pay attention to them and notice if you can find where they are coming from.  All the details of the earth are not noticed enough; notice them and you will immediately feel more connected to a greater power and truly feel the greatness of this beautiful planet.
Have a safe an happy new year!

Luana ola!

No comments:

Post a Comment