Thursday, March 3, 2016

It's National Nutrition Month!! (plus a recipe)

March first began the month-long celebration of National Nutrition Month, which is the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics' nutrition education and information campaign. The theme this year is Savor the Flavor of Eating Right.  This is right in line with the may I help my clients because it is a focus on encouraging everyone "to take time to enjoy food traditions and appreciate the pleasures, great flavors and social experiences food can add to our lives. How, when, why and where we eat are just as important as what we eat. Develop a mindful eating pattern that includes nutritious and flavorful foods — that's the best way to savor the flavor of eating right!" (this quote is from an Academy email I got).

So, to help YOU get some useful and updated nutrition information, I will be doing my best to answer as many of your nutrition questions as I can.  Leave your question in the comments, or email me personally, and I will answer it right here on the blog!

Now, it is March and that means everyone's Irish side will soon be emerging as St. Patrick's Day rolls around.  It's funny, all of a sudden, everyone in Chicago becomes Irish in March...
So, in the spirit of my Irish heritage (yes, I do have some Irish blood in me), I have a wonderful recipe for you! Vegan Shepherd's Pie!

A little back story to this recipe:  My mom has been making vegan shepherd's pie since I became vegan and I always ask her to bring it to family gatherings and such.  She even made it for last year's Murderer Mystery Dinner Party!!  It is so good, I never knew how simple it was until I asked for the recipe!  My mom laughed and then proceeded to tell me her recipe below.
Here's what you'll need:
  • lots of potatoes, chopped and boiled until soft
  • 1 big bag of frozen mixed veggies
  • 3 Tbsp tomato paste
  • 1/3 cup vegetable broth or water
  1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. Mash your potatoes with some almond milk and add salt/pepper to taste
  3. Place your veggies in the bottom of a casserole dish, ad tomato paste and broth. Stir to combine
  4. Top the veggie mixture with mashed potatoes and pop into the oven!
That's it!  In about 15 minutes, you will have a warm and golden dish of steaming hot shepherd's pie!!

What is your favorite casserole-type dish?  Let me know in the comments and don't forget to subscribe so you can get updates right in your inbox!

No comments:

Post a Comment