Thursday, October 3, 2013

Living Pumpkin Smoothie

Hi beautiful friends!  It has been so long since I have posted a recipe here on the old blog.  Heck, it's been awhile since I posted...period!  So let me catch you up a bit...

I am in the full swing of classes and have been assigned the DASH diet for one of my classes.  For this project, I have to "live the diet" for 7 days, track my progress and write a paper on my experience.  This is basically to help the class understand the different diets that future clients/patients will have to go on, based on their health status and needs.  The DASH diet is a diet to stop hypertension (high blood pressure) by cutting salt to a bare minimum and reducing fat intake.  Luckily, I mostly follow this lifestyle already, but it has been a challenge so far.  Although I've only been doing it for 2 days, I am finding it difficult to eat the recommended foods as they are basically 100% cooked.  If you have been following my blog for awhile, you probably know that I am working towards a low fat raw vegan lifestyle and am absolutely loving it!  This diet, however has higher fat percentage (around 25-30%) and protein (around 15-20%); so naturally the carbohydrates must go down (about 60%).

One thing I do love about this week is that I get to really monitor myself and focus on my food more often than I normally do.  Since a mild eating disorder 2 years ago, I have stopped counting calories and being fixated on food, but now I have to do just that for a week to track my progress.  Although I have seen a few of my old eating behaviors creeping up, I have been able to manage them and meet my daily goals.  I must say, I can't wait to get back to my high fruit and veggie lifestyle though!

Speaking of high energy food...let's get to the real reason you are reading this post!!  I will be making this one this weekend for sure and will be posting a picture on twitter, so follow me @LuanaOla

Living Pumpkin Smoothie (for 1, but can easily be doubled or tripled!):

  • 2 c pumpkin puree (for fresh:  remove skin and chop fresh pumpkin into cubes and blend in a high speed blender or food processor)
  • 1 frozen banana
  • 2 dates, soaked and reserve liquid if needed for smoothie consistency
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
  • a small sliver of fresh ginger (1/8-1/4" thick)
    • Begin by pureeing the fresh pumpkin, then add the banana, dates, and spices.  Blend well, adding leftover date water or almond milk to achieve the consistency you like.
    • Sip slowly and enjoy every moment!
Luana Ola!

No comments:

Post a Comment