As with everything else in life, prevention starts with your diet. This season, focus on whole foods. No, no silly, not the store (although that could work if you're willing to pay your entire salary...). By whole foods, I mean things that come directly from nature, without much processing. These things include beans/legumes, rice, farro (delicious Italian grain!), quinoa, gluten free oats, and all the fresh fruits and vegetables you care for. Here's a great tip for every meal or snack during the day: make the main part of your meal veggie/fruit-centered and then top it off with a warm bowl of broth, rice, or lentil soup. MMM...I'm feeling warmer just thinking about it!
- If you have a juicer or a blender, make some green juices and smoothies! This is a really simple way to load up on vitamins and minerals from leafy greens that are sometimes hard to swallow. (Comment below or message me if you'd like some recipes!!)
- Let's say you already have a stuffy nose and you want to get rid of it (who doesn't)...before you head to the drug store and fill your hard-working cells with chemicals, try this out.
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil.
- While the water is getting up to temperature, combine 2 T dried chamomile flowers, 1 t whole cloves, and 1 t whole pepper corns into a round bowl or cake pan. (Any herbs or spices can be used, but I chose chamomile for its soothing properties, and cloves and pepper for their punch.)
- Pour the hot water over the spices and allow your face to rest over it (without actually touching the water). You can even put a towel over your head to trap the steam in towards your face.
- Be sure to have tissues ready, because this really works!
- One of the most important suggestions I could give you, though is to stay away from anything with sugar (except fruit of course). Processed sugar is truly a drug, and while it is okay to have once in a while, it is definitely a no no while you are sick. Think of it this way, your body is working so hard to fight off whatever virus or bacteria you have contracted. You want to do everything you can to help it out (i.e. eating plenty of fresh, preferably raw fruits and vegetables...maybe some veggie soup...). By eating sugar, you would be making your body even more susceptible to the bacteria by literally giving it food! yikes!
I wish you all blessings throughout this beautiful season and many wishes to stay healthy!
As always, feel free to comment below and follow my posts to keep learning and exploring with me!