Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Fruit Ninja!! and Step 1

I just had to use that as my title!  But sadly, there is no talk of the game in this post, nor is there any actually ninjas...

But!  There is a great recipe at the end of this post including the Ninja blender!

So here we go, first things first.  Shopping for healthy food on a budget.  I'm thinking about doing a weekly post about what goes into my shopping cart and into our bellies each week.  This will include the cost and health of the cart as well!  What do you think? I'll use this post as a trial run...

Just so you know a bit about my shopping experience, I'll fill you in a bit.  I usually go online the day before or day of my planned grocery shopping day (usually Monday or Tuesday) and look at the sales going on.  From here, I choose which store to go to based on what I've experienced in their quality and what the store's ad says is on sale.  Then, I go to the store with the most sales and best produce.  I do this because I feel that it is a waste of time, resources, and gas to drive all around town just to get a "good deal" when I've probably wasted as much money in time and gas just to get that deal!  But I digress, this is just my opinion.

Step 2 will be next week!

This week's grocery bill was................................$38.78

  • Note:  this is for 2 people and 1 week, using staples already in the house (like rice, beans, nuts, etc.)
In this bunch, we have the following from left to right and top to bottom:
Raw agave nectar
Sun dried tomatoes
3 pints raspberries
Peaches
Fuji apples
Young coconut
Romaine lettuce
Ginger
Onion
Lemongrass
and Bananas!
Oh, there was watermelon too, not pictured.


Recipe of the Day:  Smoothie!
       Simply combine the following ingredients in your high speed blender (we used our brand new Ninja) and serve!
  • 3 frozen bananas
  • 1/2 pineapple, chopped
  • 1 c blueberries
  • 3 c collard greens, washed and stems removed
  • 1 cup water

Luana ola!


No comments:

Post a Comment