Here are some other ways to stay active throughout your day:
- work up to 10,000 steps every day. Use a pedometer ($10 at your local store) from the time you wake up to the time you go to sleep, with the exception of taking it off whenever you are going into water of course.
- Stand up at work. Get off that booty and use it the way it was supposed to be used...to support the rest of your body and propel you through life.
- Fidget while you work: use a stability ball instead of a chair, get up every 15-30 minutes and take a lap around the office, stretch in your chair, try some squats or dips in your chair, or just simply fidget!
- Take your dog for an extra long walk. It's good for both you and him/her. If you don't have a dog, get one. Studies have shown that dog owners tend to live healthier and happier lives.
- Clean your house. This will be both physically and mentally clearing. The harder and faster you work, the more calories you will burn and the faster you will get the job done.
- Cook at home. Preparing your own meals means that you know exactly what is in each bite and you can control the portion sizes. Get the whole family involved in the chopping, slicing, baking, and flipping. This will ensure that no one person has to make the whole meal, the food will be ready faster, and the kids will be more likely to try new foods because they helped prepare them!
- Dance! Dancing is one of the most fun and easy ways to burn calories. Instead of going out for drinks and sitting at a bar or restaurant, go out dancing. Have one or two drinks and dance your shoes off! The fun will once again be both mentally and physically stimulating.
- Last, but certainly not least, do some light calisthenics during commercial breaks. No one likes to watch those things anyways, so make use of the time you have and do some push ups, sit ups, squats, and planks!
The point of this entire post is to remind people to get up and get moving. Even if you don't go to the gym, that doesn't give you the right to be a couch potato. The more you sit on the couch, the greater your chances of getting disease and sicknesses. So grab some friends or family and get up, get going, and get active!